Bourboulenc, who are you?


Bourboulenc, you sound weird. Like an old French dish my grandma used to cook. I can picture you as a heavy hotpot with a lot of gravy, that fills your stomach but that is not so refined and tasty.

Well that is not true. Bourboulenc, forgive me for judging you so fast.

You don’t ring a bell to a lot of people, even to “initiés”. However you are one of the oldest grape varieties ever planted in the Languedoc region in France.
We can also find you in Chateauneuf du Pape area. And the places you shine the most are the tinier appellations of La Clape and Minervois.

You take quite some time to mature, but your strength is your great acidity that allows the wine to remain fresh, even in those warmer climates.

But most of the time, you are “one of” the characters; you contribute to the recipe; but rarely are you the star.

Well, let me tell you something Bourboulenc. You are a star to me. And I wanted to apologize for overlooking at you for so long.

“Les Terres salées” 2013 was probably the best discovery of my summer. 100% made of you.

You grew on salt marsh for this very unique wine.

The result is a dense palate, a  great texture, the overall is powerful but fresh with an amazing “saline”’ finish.

A sip of the ocean.

Nothing to envy to posh Chardonnay or trendy Riesling my friend.

Well done mate.




Comments

Popular Posts