Comte de Champagne VS Noodle Soup


“What is your job Bong-srey?” asked Seyha, my little tuk tuk driver friend.

“I sell wine Seyha”. Skeptical look. Then smile. Then laugh.

That famous Cambodian laugh, so hard to interpret.

A major part of the Khmers has never drunk wine before. Whereas another tiny little percentage of them will enjoy Chateau Pavie on weekly basis.

Attending a Chaine des Rotisseurs Gala dinner one day… and eating a rice noodle soup in the street the following day, has become a normal life for me, for the past 2 years.
 


Is it right to sell Comte de Champagne in a country where the average salary is around 150$ per month? 
Well, I guess there’s no “right” or “wrong” answer to that question. 


Following that discussion, I decided to organize a wine tasting with Seyha and his friends, in the street. That bottle of wine from Argentina I brought was very decent… however apparently not to the opinion of my acolytes. “Not so good” they say. And all of a sudden, they empty their glass “bottom-up!!” style, making funny faces...

Well, maybe next time, I’ll bring Comte de Champagne.

Comments

  1. I really like the idea of having locals - of varying sophistication - tasting various wines. It could be a theme. You could introduce us to a person or people - saying a little more about them - and then tell us how they react to a particular wine. And ideally what they do or don't like... You could add some pics of the tastings (and maybe some simple videos). This could include taking the wines to Khmer meals...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts